Monday, October 16, 2017

Review: The Invansion of the Tearling

Title: The Invasion of the Tearling
Series: The Queen of the Tearling #2
Author: Erika Johensen
Genre: Adult, Fantasy
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: June 9, 2015
Source: Bought


Kelsea Glynn is the Queen of the Tearling. Despite her youth, she has quickly asserted herself as a fair, just and powerful ruler.
However, power is a double-edged sword, and small actions can have grave consequences. In trying to do what is right - stopping a vile trade in humankind - Kelsea has crossed the Red Queen, a ruthless monarch whose rule is bound with dark magic and the spilling of blood. The Red Queen's armies are poised to invade the Tearling, and it seems nothing can stop them.
Yet there was a time before the Crossing, and there Kelsea finds a strange and possibly dangerous ally, someone who might hold the key to the fate of the Tearling, and indeed to Kelsea's own soul. But time is running out...
Erika Johansen's fierce and unforgettable young heroine returns in this dazzling new novel of magic and adventure, set in the beguiling world of the Tearling.


Find The Invasion of the Tearling online!
It took me SO.  LONG. To read this book.  Honestly, I started it in the middle of September and put it down for three weeks before picking it up again.  It's not necessarily because it was uninteresting and boring; in fact, it was really interesting once I got into reading it.  But it was one of those books that didn't beg me to pick it up after I put it down.  I wasn't dying to see what happened next which was quite the change from the first book.  

I think my main issue with this book was the fact that I just started to dislike the main character, Kelsea.  I felt like she was making bad decisions after bad decision.  Not only that, but she wasn't very nice to anyone!  I wanted to see her have a somewhat healthy and supportive relationship with someone in this book but it didn't really happen.  The power of her magic and the crown really started going to her head in this book and it made me frustrated with her constantly.  I wanted to see some decency in her but it was hard to overlook the decisions she made and how she treated some of the others in the book.  Like Mace!  Mace is one of my favorite characters but it frustrated me to no end that he and Kelsea seem to have a terrible relationship where they can hardly have a conversation.  

Most of this plot was waiting for the Red Queen to invade the Tearling.  While interesting at parts, some of it felt fairly repetitive.  Also, a lot of the story took place in the past from the POV of a new character named Lily.  It took me a while to warm up to her because I was so anxious to get back to Kelsea's story and see what was going on with her.  But Lily's POV ended up being really interesting and insightful.  

Overall, this book was a bit of a disappointment compared to the first one.  It was still interesting and I was invested in the story, but it didn't grab me like the first one had.  I'm still looking forward to reading the third book and finding out what happens in this story!

“When it fails, they do call it madness, Lazarus. But when it succeeds, they call it genius.” 

Three out of Five Teapots


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns